Friday, July 20, 2007

Cooking Class

This afternoon at Orientation we had cooking class. Since I'll be cooking much more down in Shell than I did in Lancaster (actually my cooking repertoire was little more than waffles, soup and mac&cheese), this was good practice. We made chicken pie, oatmeal rolls, and fruit salad. We started out with a whole chicken that we cut up- actually I cut up while Jodie "supervised". Needless to say, I'm not yet a candidate for my own cooking show. The fruit salad was good- pineapple, mango, and a fruit called shu shu (I'm pretty sure I butchered that spelling) among others. It was fun to work with Jod and hang out with the other people in our class, but if it that's much work to make dinner every night, I've got a steep learning curve!

other random thoughts about Nampa, ID:
- it's dry and flat- it hasn't rained a drop since we got here on Sunday, and I haven't seen any elevation changes that would even be considered a hill. Not good prep for Shell where it rains over 20 feet a year. It probably rains on less than 20 days a year in Nampa.
- they have 4 way stops with multiple lanes. I'm used to just having to figure out which of the other 3 (at most) cars got there first. Here, there's a couple 4 way stops we drive through with 8-10 lanes.
- beer and wine sold at regular retail outlets. Having lived in Pennsylvania so long, it always seems odd to me when I see beer at a convenient store or Wal-Mart.

No comments: